How to Block Spam? Phishing Emails?
Well, the answer to this question is still being answered by many experts and companies spend millions of dollars each year protecting their emails systems and attempting to deliver clean emails to their workers. The United States alone is responsible for 14.6% of all spam. Some of this SPAM emails come from comprised computers used as spam sending botnet. If your computer is infected with a virus, spam could be coming from you!
Make sure your computer is virus free! Here is a free tool from Sophos
Here are a few tips on how to avoid spam:
- Use email filtering software at your email gateway to block spam, viruses and worms. This option might not apply to every computer environment but is the most affecting control tool there it.
- Never answer, make a purchase or interact in a why with unsolicited emails. If you do answer to one of these emails, now you are in their “good email” list. Get ready for more spam!
- If you don’t know the sender of an unsolicited email, delete it. Spam can contain viruses, phishing links and spyware.
- Don’t overexpose your email address to the world! Posting to mailing lists that are archived online, publishing your address publicly on social networks, and using an easily guessable address based on your name and company makes you an easy mark for spammers.
- Keep your work and personal email separate. And use one or two secondary email addresses for when you fill out web registration forms or surveys on sites from which you don’t want further information.
Here is a sample email:
Remember to always verify the sender’s email address!